Sunday, April 23, 2017

Sonny Stitt & Bennie Green - My Main Man

Bennie Green was no where near the technician Stitt was. In fact, his trombone vocabulary precedes J. J. Johnson's and the bebop revolution of Bird and Diz. Nevertheless, Sonny and Bennie sounded like soul mates on the two occasions I caught them together at McKee's Show Lounge 63rd and Cottage in Chicago. Their meetings didn't produce the sparks of Stitt and Jug (Gene Ammons) but a spirit of rare camaraderie (Stitt could be an ornery loner). On this session, Green's broad, open sound comes through better than in person (he was playing without a mike in front of a Hammond B-3 when I caught him), and Sonny exercises restraint and good taste in deference to his good friend and worthy musical companion. (The title track and two others can also be found on a Stitt anthology called "How High the Moon.") Another recommended album by the pair is "Pow."
Samuel Chell

Source : http://www.amazon.com/Main-Man-Mlps-Sonny-Stitt/dp/B00013YRCS

Sonny Stitt
Bennie Green
My Main Man
(UCCC-9077)

Tracks

1 Flame and Frost (Edwards)  4:31
2 Let's Play Chess (Stitt)  4:50
3 Double Dip (Stitt)  4:41
4 Our Day Will Come (Garson)  5:17
5 My Main Man (Green)  4:29
6 The Night Has a Thousand Eyes (Bernier)  5:14
7 Broilin' (Stitt)  5:54

*

Personnel
Sonny Stitt - as & ts
Bennie Green - tb
Bobby Buster - org
Joe Diorio - g
Dorel Anderson - dr

Redorded in Chicago ; March 10 & 11, 1964

32 comments:

JD said...

Thanks for this one, Mel, as I only had a crappy mp3 copy. Nice one!!!

Blue Eyes said...

Incredible! I looked for that one too! are you a telepathist? thank you very much Mel for this album with the great Joe Diorio!

Lenny said...

Thanks again for that pure jewel :^)

By the way, i am trying to contact jazzy62, could you pass him the message please ?

forward thanks,

lenny (dot) barralere (at) gmail (dot) com

grumpy said...

Wow! Many thanks for this upgrade.

Descargador said...

Muchas Gracias Mela!!

deGallo said...

Very big thanks!

L.O.L. said...

Thanks, Mel:)

Pippo said...

Thank you Mel and happy holidays.

MarEver said...

Hi, I am new to this blog. Can anyone tell me how to get the password to unzip the downloaded RAR files? Thanks.

L.O.L. said...

@MarEver
melanchthon or baruch

MarEver said...

Thanks L.O.L.!

rm said...

merci beaucoup

Kovina Kris said...

So many nice albums. So much thanks deserved and offered.

rubberduck said...

Many thanks , Mel

El Tortuga said...

thank you Mel, for sharing such precious music.

duck said...

Leopold, this is a very welcome upgrade, much appreciated

Pedro Tulio said...

please where is the key? thanks

Pedro Tulio said...

please where is the key? thanks

Jazzsoulman said...

Thank You

Tim said...

This is a "polite" but swinging session. Joe Diorio's guitar work is very tasty. Who is Bobby Buster? I like his organ playing.

I used to look down my nose at Argo. Bluenote, Prestige... those were the "real" jazz labels. Now I find myself searching out these Argo recordings.

Thanks Mel... this is beautiful.

bho wani said...

First time I see this gem. Thank you!

kristophermc28 said...

Many thanks Mel!
I'm pretty stoked to give this a listen. I don't have a lot of Benny in the collection, but I dig what I've heard. And Stitt is favorite.

AmyBRAINS said...

It'a very nice album!
Many, many thanks, Melanchthon.

rebf942 said...

Stitt and Green - good combination - many thanks.

jazzcat1228 said...

This one is new to me. Thank you for sharing this new gem with us Mel!

chuchuni said...

Much appreciated by this Stitt fan, Mel!

Melanchthon said...

http://www93.zippyshare.com/v/9d4ua3cm/file.html
http://www93.zippyshare.com/v/mRBJWKQN/file.html

Starchild said...

Many thanks Mel!

Otis Foster said...

Thnx melanchthon

DEEP said...

CLASP

Bill said...

thanks Mel.

pe444rro said...

Muchas gracias Mel, una verdadera joya discogràfica.