Thursday, May 21, 2015

Johnny Smith - The Man With the Blue Guitar

This session is an oddity in the Johnny SMith discography : It is strictly solo guitar, and none of the music can even remotely be called "jazz". The resultant LP was titled The Man with the Blue Guitar. In discussing this session and some of the problems that arise when recording outside a professional studio, Smith commented, "At this point in time I was doing everything I could to keep from going back to New York City. [Smith moved to Colorado Springs in February 1958]. I had this music store and I recorded that album down in the basement. I had a heck of a time because there was a McDonald's right next door. I'd get half way through [a piece] and a car horn would go off !"
The repertoire consists od standards, adaptations of folk melodies, and some classical themes. There is no need to discuss individual pieces from this session.
The music is all of a very high standard and quite beautiful.
Vincent Pelote, The Institute of Jazz Studies, July 2002 (from the Mosaic booklet p. 11)

Johnny Smith
The Man With the Blue Guitar

Tracks

1 My Romance (Rodgers, Hart)  2:13
2 Little Girl Blue (Rodgers, Hart)  2:35
3 Pavane (Ravel, arr. Smith)  1:35
4 Prelude (Scriabin, arr. Smith)  1:33
5 Black Is the Color (of My True Love's Hair) (trad. arr. Smith)  2:47
6 Wait Till You See Her (Rodgers, Hart)  2:07
7 The Maiden With the Flaxen Hair (Debussy, arr. Smith)  2:59
8 Shenandoah (trad. arr. Smith)  2:30
9 Green Leaves of Summer (Tiomkin, Webster)  2:53
10 My Funny Valentine (Rodgers, Hart)  3:17
11 Dancing in the Dark (Dietz, Schwartz)  2:39
12 Old Folks (Robinson, Hill)  2:35
13 I Loves You Porgy (Gershwin, Gershwin)  2:30

*

Johnny Smith - g

Recorded at Johnny Smith Guitar Center, Colorado Springs ; early 1962

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

where's the link, Mel?