Sunday, August 25, 2013

Lester Young & the Oscar Peterson Trio

Defying what has become conventional wisdom, tenor saxophonist Lester Young (when he was reasonably healthy) actually cut some of his greatest recordings in the 1950s. On this wonderful effort with pianist Oscar Peterson, guitarist Barney Kessel, bassist Ray Brown, and drummer J.C. Heard, Prez performs definitive versions of "Just You, Just Me" and "Tea for Two," and plays a string of concise but memorable ballad renditions: "On the Sunny Side of the Street," "Almost Like Being in Love," "I Can't Give You Anything but Love," "There Will Never Be Another You," and "I'm Confessin'." The 1997 CD reissue augments the original dozen songs with a version of the good-humored "It Takes Two to Tango" (which features Young's only recorded vocals) and has a rather unnecessary false start ("I Can't Get Started"), along with some studio chatter. Essential music.
Scott Yanow

Source : http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:kcfyxq9gldse

Lester Young
Oscar Peterson Trio
With the Oscar Peterson Trio

Tracks

1 Ad Lib Blues (Peterson, Young) 5:54
2 I Can't Get Started (Duke, Gershwin) 3:41
3 Just You, Just Me (Greer, Klages) 7:40
4 Almost Like Being in Love (Lerner, Loewe) 3:34
5 Tea for Two (Caesar, Youmans) 7:45
6 There Will Never Be Another You (Gordon, Warren) 3:28
7 (Back Home Again In) Indiana (Hanley, MacDonald) 7:04
8 On the Sunny Side of the Street (Fields, McHugh) 3:27
9 Stardust (Carmichael, Parish) 3:35
10 I'm Confessin' (That I Love You) (Daugherty, Neiburg, Reynolds) 3:41
11 I Can't Give You Anything But Love (Fields, McHugh) 3:22
12 These Foolish Things (Link, Marvell, Strachey) 3:27
13 (It Takes) Two to Tango [rehearsal, false start and chatter] (Hoffman, Manning) 6:06
14 I Can't Get Started [false start] (Duke, Gershwin) :53

Personnel
Lester Young - ts & voc [# 13]
Oscar Peterson - p
Barney Kessel - g
Ray Brown - b
J. C. Heard - dr

Recorded in New York City ; November 28, 1952

11 comments:

Pippo said...

Gosh, I thought I lost this blog and there it is, I'm extremely glad.
Thank you Melanchthon.

cstargazer said...

I hadn't heard this one before. Beautiful Pres. I'll have to re-check Oscar Peterson's autobiography to see what he says about Pres. Thanks.

luthier said...

Lester Young & the Oscar Peterson Trio - Very nice album. Thank you!

L.O.L. said...

Thanks;)

Melanchthon said...

http://lix.in/-d9a2fb

Albertito Jazz said...

Thanks Melanchthon!

deGallo said...

Thank you.

5 cents said...

Thank you, new one for me!

Chris said...

Thanks Mel I'm keen to give this a listen

FrankDell said...

Merci, Mel. Downloading this set on Lester's 104th birthday. Joyeux anniversaire Pres.

fcapeau said...

Once more that's History ! Many thanks, Mel