Sunday, December 6, 2015

Bud Shank & Clare Fischer - Brasamba !

One of the greatest albums of Brazilian jazz that Bud Shank ever recorded done with a style that's a lot more like some of the best bossa albums from Rio at the time! Bud's recorded in other bossa settings before but there's something about this record that really gets the whole thing right as Shank's alto and flute come into play with a killer combo that includes Clare Fischer on piano, Larry Bunker on vibes and drums, Joe Pass on guitar, and Milt Holland and Chuck Flores on percussion. The added percussion really brings a lot to the set and gives it a strongly bossa-driven groove that really lets Shank take off on alto and flute solos. Fischer's piano is remarkably strong caught at that clear early point in his career when he was such a fresh voice on the scene. The whole thing's wonderful overall and if you think you might have it under another name, check the song listings because we bet you don't! Titles include "Sambinha", "Gostoso", "Elizete", "O Barquinho", "Brasamba", and "Otem A Note".
© 1996-2013, Dusty Groove, Inc.

Source : http://w3.dustygroove.com/item.php?id=6hsr5yk29k&ref=index.php

Bud Shank
Clare Fischer
Brasamba !
(Pacific Jazz Stereo 1963)

Tracks

1 Brasamba (Shank)  3:53
2 Otem A Note (Fischer)  4:14
3 Autumn Leaves (Les Feuilles Mortes) (Prévert, Kosma)  4:04
4 Sambinha (Shank)  3:38
5 Gostoso (Fischer)  3:55
6 If I Should Lose You (Robin, Rainger)  2:57
7 O'Barquinho (Menescal, Boscoli)  3:26
8 Serenidade (Fischer)  3:19
9 Elizete (Fischer)  4:16
10 Samba De Orfeu (Bonfa, Maria)  3:02

*

Personnel
Bud Shank - fl & as
Clare Fischer - p
Joe Pass - g
Ralph Peña - b
Larry Bunker - vb & dr
Milt Holland & Chuck Flores - perc


Recorded at Pacific Jazz Studios, Hollywood, California ; 1963

32 comments:

Newlyner said...

This was the first jazz record I ever bought, great to have it again. Many thanks.

Jorge del Parque said...

What wonderful music! Thank you very much.

Toad said...

very interesting, thanks

hcb said...

How amazing! I've been listening to this for the last couple of days on the car. I have the original vinyl, a red disc, but I don't have the CD, and so, for that, I thank you.

adakun said...

Se hace tan corto este disco.... es "miel" para los sentidos. Muchas gracias

Philo said...

I have this from rather worn vinyl, so the remastered CD is most welcome. I am really enjoying the music. Thanks.

cvllos said...

Thank you, Melanchthon!

neil said...

Don't know about Bud and Bossa, but willing to give it a try; many thanks, mel...

Gepetto said...


Many thanks !

Scoredaddy said...

was looking for this! thanks!!!

joao estrela said...

Thank you for this wonderful album - Obrigado

Rodney said...

Many thanks, mel. My copy not at all satisfactory so most welcome here.

duck said...

Mel, Thanks again. still amazed you keep finding these gems.

fcapeau said...

Some of the "Fine Fleur" of the west Coast Jazz Musicians and Pacific Jazz crew, for a relaxed (or supposed to be) session. My preference is on tracks with Bud playing alto, but the full record sounds good.

Tibau said...

That's Bud. Great.
Thanks

Prof. Yaffle said...

Thank you

Frasco said...

Thank you very much Melanchthon, wonderful share!

Jazzsoulman said...

Thanks a lot

XAVIER JOAN said...

GRACIAS PERO HACE UN TIEMPO ERA MÁS FÁCIL Y MÁS DIRECTO REALIZAR LAS DESCARGAS ...

Chris said...

Thanks Mel I didn't pick this one up last time round

grumpy said...

Great post! many thanks, mel.

Markus Rose said...

Thank you very much for this fine Pacific Jazz album. Much appreciation.

Eli Koch said...

Many thanks.

Melanchthon said...

http://www10.zippyshare.com/v/7PmModuE/file.html
http://www10.zippyshare.com/v/v9orbBSD/file.html

deGallo said...

Wonderful! Thank you.

Richard Stands said...

any new password? tried the previous ones but I get wrong pass. Any help?

Richard Stands said...

I overlooked to join the .001 archives first, then old pass works like a charm. Thanks a lot Mel

Fred Archtop said...

Thank you so much Mel.

rob 60 said...

help me! I don't open thi format of file

Pee said...

Anything with Clare Fischer is on my list. Thanks Mel!

kristophermc28 said...

Thanks Mel!

Anonymous said...

You touch my heart Mel with this. My fave musician, Bud Shank. He sat on my couch in commie Poland, back on May 6, 1980, together with Jeff Hamilton. We were listening to "Basie at Birdland Live" LP I paid my monthly income for. Bud was on European tour with LA Four at the time, and they made it to Poland. I was their guide/interpreter. This was also the day that Ray Brown let me to carry his bass upstairs to the gig room in Warsaw's "Akwarium" Club. I will never forget Ray's facial reaction to my idiot-question of "Can I carry your bass upstairs?" His reply was: "I would not trust my wife with this, but... OK, do it, boy". I still have this Basie LP, with Bud's and Jeff's handwritten dedications to me.