Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Sonny Stitt

This obscure LP [#1-8] finds Sonny Stitt sticking to tenor and playing a typical set filled with blues, standards and riff-filled originals. Organist Charles Kynard made his recording debut during this session, guitarist Ray Crawford and drummer Doug Sides are strong assets and the two versions of the emotional title cut are highpoints.
Scott Yanow
Source : http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:0xftxqugldhe

Sonny Stitt
My Mother's Eyes

Tracks

01 Summer Special (Stitt) 3:40
02 My Mother's Eyes (Baer, Gilbert) 5:26
03 Stitt In Time (Stitt) 4:14
04 Blue Skies (Berlin) 4:02
05 My Mother's Eyes [alt. take] (Baer, Gilbert) 5:24
06 S.O.P Blues (Stitt) 4:16
07 Don't Go To Strangers (Evans, Kent, Mann) 5:28
08 Red Top (Kynard, Hampton) 3:20
09 Deuces Wild (*) [bonus track] (Stitt) 5:26
10 My Foolish Heart (*) [bonus track] (Washington, Young) 4:44
11 Blues Ahead (*) [bonus track] (Stitt) 4:18
12 Sittin' In With Stitt (*) [bonus track] (Stitt) 4:00

Personnel
[# 1-8] "My Mother's Eyes" (Pacific Jazz ST 71)
Sonny Stitt - ts
Charles Kynard - org
Ray Crawford - g
Doug Sides - dr
Recorded in Los Angeles, May, 1963.
[# 9-12] "Deuces Wild" (Atlantic ATL 3008)
Sonny Stitt - as & ts
Don Patterson - org
Billy James - dr
Recorded in New York, September 11, 1966.

________
Contains the complete Pacific Jazz album My Mother’s Eyes (1963) - one of Stitt’s only all-tenor LPs, previously unavailable on CD. This editions includes as bonus tracks all four Sonny Stitt trio selections taken from the New York, September 11, 1966 studio session, which was originally issued as Deuces Wild on Atlantic.
Source : http://www.freshsoundrecords.com/my_mothers_eyes-cd-4711.html

11 comments:

Melanchthon said...

http://lix.in/-919c3e

wouter said...

great post, mel! thank you very much!!

duck said...

Mel, you keep knocking me out with all these great albums. thank you again and hello from Australia.

Heervee said...

Stitt: Thank you, I have a particular interest in Ray Crawford, i discovered him when he played Lady Soul, a must have. Thank you for this excellent post

Anonymous said...

My god this features Rufus Harley, the only jazz bagpipest of all time and you fail to list that!!!!

I've been looking examples of his work. Thanks a lot :)

Bill said...

Another GREAT post! Many thanks!

Arkiver said...

You never cease to amaze...just too much fun every visit. Thanks so much for this work by one of my all time favorite sax men.

Anonymous said...

Listen Melanchthon listen seriously:
Youuuuuuu aree so beautifuull to meeeeeee
You areee so beautifuuull to meeee
And I
And I wiiiil here with tankyouuuuuuuuuuu

:-)

Baron said...

Thanks - inadequate I know - Baron

musician3 said...

Great Thank You

Eric said...

Sadly, this is a dead link.