Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Lou Levy Trio

This early effort by pianist Lou Levy (28 at the time) finds him playing superior bop interpretations of seven standards and three straight-ahead originals. Levy is teamed on the Los Angeles dates with bassist Max Bennett and drummer Stan Levey. Last available as a French RCA LP in 1983, the music is an excellent example of the modern mainstream of the period and still sounds quite stimulating and swinging. [A Most Musical Fella was reissued on CD in both 1999 and 2001.]
Scott Yanow

Source : http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:kxfpxqqgldde

Lou Levy
A Most Musical Fella

Tracks

1 Night and Day (Porter) 4:15
2 Angel Eyes (Brent, Dennis) 4:06
3 Lou's Blues (Levy) 3:47
4 Yesterdays (Earback, Harbach, Kern) 6:18
5 Apartment 17 (Levy) 3:27
6 How About You (Freed, Lane) 3:36
7 Baubles, Bangles and Beads (Forrest, Wright) 4:16
8 Woody'n Lou (Levy) 3:02
9 We'll Be Together Again (Fischer, Laine) 4:31
10 I'll Remember April (DePaul, DePaul, Johnston, Raye) 5:11
11 Everything Happens to Me* (Adair, Dennis) 3:52

*Bonus track, not on orignal LP

Personnel
Lou Levy -p
Max Bennett - b
Stan Levey - dr

Recorded at Radio Recorders Studio, Hollywood, California, on November 15, 1956 [#3, 5, 6 & 11] ; January 2 [#1, 2, 4 & 7] & 26 [#8-10], 1957

14 comments:

cooljazz said...

Thank you very much.

yewsta said...

Many thanks.

moha said...

As I'm back home You gave me so much new to listen to - thank You Mel!

laconico said...

This one is a gem, thanks Mel!

Otis Foster said...

A somewhat forgotten musician - thnx Mel

Bhowani said...

thanks a lot, Mel !

Kndnsk said...

Thank you! I've loved his playing ever since I heard him on Stan Getz's The Steamer.

PlantDoctor53 said...

This was new to me Mel. Thanks a lot - I enjoyed it and plan to enjoy it some more!

Philo said...

I think this is the first time I've heard Lou Levy as a leader.

Very nice.

Jaffa said...

Played the Franch-RCA LP again after years - and I think it's LL's best. Thanks for bringing this back to attention, Mel !

dreadco said...

Thank you for this exhilarating music.

the doc said...

very nice share. thanks

neil said...

Just been listening to Levy on Stan Levey's "This time the drum's on me", and it's whetted my appetite.
Many thanks for another fascinating post...

Melanchthon said...

http://www.embedupload.com/?d=44ERNEGBAZ