Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Joltin' Joe Roland

Other than a Bethlehem album in 1955 and a few obscure titles, all of vibraphonist Joe Roland's recordings as a leader are on this enjoyable CD reissue. Roland, best-known for an early '50s stint with George Shearing's Quintet, was a excellent vibist whose style fell somewhere between Terry Gibbs and Milt Jackson. He is paired in two 1954 quintets with either Freddie Redd (who plays conventional bop) and Wade Legge (sounding at his most eccentric) on piano. However the most memorable set is from 1950 for Roland is joined by guitar (Joe Puma), bass, drums and a string quartet. The writing for the strings (which is uncredited) is quite inventive and, although the strings do not solo, they sound very much like a jazz ensemble. It is particularly interesting to hear this instrumentation playing "Half Nelson," "Dee Dee's Dance" and Roland's original "Sally Is Gone"; guest singer Paula Castle does a fine job on the haunting "Love Is Just a Plaything." Recommended.
Scott Yanow

Source : http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:wcfwxqtgldhe

Joe Roland
Joltin' Joe Roland

Tracks

1 Gene's Stew (Legge)  5:24
2 Spice (Legge)   4:26
3 Music House (Legge)  3:08
4 Joyce's Choice (Legge)  2:41
5 Garrity's Flight (Roland)  2:46
6 Indian Summer (Dubin, Herbert)  2:50
7 I've Got the World on a String (Arlen, Koehler)  4:39
8 Stephanie's Dance (Redd)  4:25
9 Half Nelson (Davis)  3:59
10 Love Is Just a Plaything (Lert & Jeffe)  2:27
11 Sally Is Gone (Roland)  2:58
12 Dee Dee's Dance (Best)  2:44

*

Personnel
[# 1, 2, 7 & 8]
Joe Roland - vb
Wade Legge - p
Dauti Martucci - b
Ron Jefferson - dr
Recorded on October 17, 1954
[#3, 4, 9 & 10]
Joe Roland - vb
Freedie Redd - p
Oscar Pettiford - b
Ron Jefferson - dr
Recorded on May 10, 1954
[#5, 6, 11 & 12]
Joe Roland - vb
Paula Castle - voc [# 6 only]
Joe Puma - g
Ish Ugarte - b
Harold Granowsky - dr
Sid Kassimir - cel
Mike Bartun - vla
Gus Oberstein - vl
Jules Modlin - vl
Recorded on January 17, 1950

30 comments:

ita diegues said...

Thnak you Melanchthon.

swingingduck said...

Many thanks for the Joe Roland.

Philo said...

Joe Roland - Joltin' Joe Roland (1954)

Most of the tracks are recorded using the same instrumentation as the MJQ. But the group has an enjoyable and quite different sound.

yewsta said...

Thanks a lot, Mel.

yewsta said...

Password? Have I missed it somewhere?

Baruch said...

use "melanchthon"

Bhowani said...

joe roland joltin

thank you melanchthon !

yewsta said...

Thank you, Baruch

Axel.T. said...

Thank you for this post. I've not heard of Joe, but I will listen closely. I just stumbled into you again over at the Jazzman's site, and I'm really glad you are back. I hope everything goes well in the future as you have fantastic jazz here.
Regards,
Axel

Axel.T. said...

I get a corrupt file when I try to expand this file. What am I doing wrong??? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Axel

yewsta said...

Axel - I had a bit of trouble with Part 1 but just downloaded it again and it was okay. Suggest you give it another go if you haven't already tried this. The files must be all right.

Kovina Kris said...

Joltin Joe Roland:
I'm having trouble with this as well and have tried it several times. After getting the text file I copy and paste the link inside which results in a link for a 7Z file that is also quite small (231 bytes). When I try to unpack this file I get a message that I need to supply the filename and it won't unpack.

(kovinakris@yahoo.com)

Philo said...

Kovina Kris:

If you are running Windows try using the free 7-ZIP utility to decompress the file.

Get a copy here:

http://www.7-zip.org/

Also, make sure you have the password correct.

Kovina Kris said...

Thanks Philo. I have discovered the problem and that is that I was using "The Unarchiver" on my Mac which doesn't know how to deal with a 7-Zip file that has a password. Using Winrar on my Windows PC works fine. If anyone knows of a utility for the Mac that will deal with 7-Zip file with a password I'd love to know about it. In the meantime I'll just use my Windows machine.

rowgatien said...

Joltin' Joe
Really nice post! Thanks

Orbyt said...

A new Roland discovery. Thanks Mel.

@Kovina Kris - switch to BetterZip for Mac. Works great without a hitch.

OldHippieRick said...

I use WinRar but have 7-zip and yes some time even with saving file as 7-Zip it will not open, so I re-download as WinRar file and it will open on Windows 7.. 7-Zip doesn't compress as well as WinRar but no big deal what's 20 to 50 MB's difference.. between friends

Prof. Yaffle said...

Thank you

deGallo said...

Thank you.

Otis Foster said...

Thnx melanchthon. Some new Roland tracks for me.

Jazzsoulman said...

Thank you

Chris said...

Thanks Mel I'm always keen to hear more from lesser known vibraphone players.

Melanchthon said...

http://www58.zippyshare.com/v/ZNyp4aPs/file.html
http://www58.zippyshare.com/v/sNkfNkF6/file.html

WOODY said...

What a great gift and thanks to Mel for considering my RePost request!
I learned his name here from your site and after some online informations that Joe even played together with one of my most admired Jazz pianist George Shearing. So I'm very glad about your efforts, very much appreciated!

francisco santos said...

BIG THX!...

Dr. Clysmok said...

I don't even know what this *is*, but I know I'm going to get it, so I'm thanking you in advance!

nlrp said...

many many thanks. regards nlrp

Angel said...

Gracias Mel, ¡¡salud!!

Kovina Kris said...

...reading my old comments on this post I see that I wasn't having any luck with "The Unarchiver" for my Mac and said that it doesn't support password entry. I switched to BetterZip and that was great for a while but then I started getting quite a few problems with that program so I just DL'd the newest version of "The Unarchiver" and that seems to be working well now and does support password entry. Huh. I guess the moral of the story is to keep several unpacking programs around and try them all when problems crop up.

jazzandylan said...

Many thanks Mel!