Monday, February 9, 2015

Red Norvo Trio - Move !

During 1950-1951, vibraphonist Red Norvo led one of his finest groups, a popular trio including guitarist Tal Farlow and bassist Charles Mingus. They recorded 20 selections (not counting alternate takes) for the Savoy label before Mingus eventually quit; his replacement would be Red Mitchell. This Japanese Savoy CD has 12 of the songs, totaling just 40 minutes. Although one wishes that all 20 songs were included on the disc (they would have fit), this CD makes for a decent sampling, at least until the music is reissued in complete fashion, as it was in the 1970s on a double LP. The interplay between the three expert musicians is often brilliant, particularly on such numbers as "Norvo," "I'll Remember April," "Zing Went the Strings of My Heart," and "Swedish Pastry."
Scott Yanow

Source : http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:kcfpxqrgldde

Red Norvo Trio
Move !

Tracks

1 Move (Best) 2:36
2 I Can't Believe That You're in Love with Me (Gaskill, McHugh)  2:52
3 I'll Remember April (DePaul, Johnston, Raye)  3:25
4 September Song (Anderson, Weill)  3:32
5 Zing ! Went the Strings of My Heart (Hanley)  3:26
6 I've Got You Under My Skin (Porter)  2:22
7 I Get a Kick Out of You (Porter)  2:25
8 If I Had You* (Campbell, Connelly, Shapiro)  4:06
9 Godchild* (Wallington)  4:47
10 This Can't Be Love* (Hart, Rodgers)  2:25
11 Cheek to Cheek (Berlin)  2:40
12 Swedish Pastry (Kessel)  2:25

*

Personnel
Red Norvo - vb
Tal Farlow - g
Charles Mingus - b

Recorded in Chicago, Illinois & Los Angeles, California* ; October 13, 1950 [# 1-7] ; April 13, 1951 [# 8-10] ; & March 3, 1950 [# 11 & 12]

18 comments:

Otis Foster said...

Thanks Mel - a marvelous little band in a session I didn't have.

ita diegues said...

Thank you.

Kovina Kris said...

I had of course heard of these musicians but never of this trio. Thank you!

Heervee said...

Red Norvo trio: Extremely gooood! really like this trio, teh right instruments and only fantastic guys!
glad they played together. Thank YOU.

Anonymous said...

what is the password?

Sivad said...

Mr.Norvo is wonderful! Thanks..

km1292 said...

Thanx again...

CrunchyFrog said...

great trio - thanks!

thefatone said...

Many thanks for all your work. Having some difficulty getting the password though. Could you help me out?

thefatone said...

got it thanks again

Reeedz said...

what is the password?

Melanchthon said...

http://www38.zippyshare.com/v/v8PAnE7C/file.html

deGallo said...

Nice! Thank you!

kristophermc28 said...

Many thanks!

Ананасий Непитин said...

thre giants, one of them being my longtime favourite...

thanks a lot, dear Mel!

The Jackal said...

Mel,

I have a guitar solo transcription of Tal's work on Move from this session, but had never heard it. You have just completed another picture and can't watit to check the chemistry here. I had a "Forced" immersion into Red Norvo by my jazzhead Dad before I was ready, just coming around to appreciating his work now,...40 years later. Thanks always

david said...

Thank you !

Jazzsoulman said...

Thank You