Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Fred Katz & His Music

Fred Katz (born February 25, 1919) is an American composer, songwriter, conductor, cellist, pianist, and professor. In jazz, a principal contribution of Katz has been, as Leonard Feather noted, “to put the cello to full use both in arco and pizzicato solos.” Oscar Pettiford had already indicated the considerable jazz potential of plucked (pizzicato) cello, but with Oscar, the instrument remained
secondary to his primary instrument, the bass. Katz was the first musician to utilize all of the cello in jazz as his chief instrument in that idiom.
Katz opinion about his own contribution can be glimpsed from his own statement: “I would like to correct an impression about me that apparently is gaining some acceptance among jazz musicians and critics. That impression is that I am not basically a jazz musician. When they say my music isn’t jazz, my answer is, ‘what composition are they talking about?’ I’m not concerned with conforming to anybody’s concept of what they would like to hear. With all that is in me, I’m trying to write music in the universal sense. If sometimes a ‘jazz’ phrase makes sense in a composition, I’ll write it.”

Fred Katz
and His Music
Soulº Cello
4-5-6 Trio
& His Jammers
(3 Lps On 2 Cds)

Tracks

Cd. 1

1 Country Gardens (Grainger)  2:46
2 Satori (Katz)  3:44
3 Andante (Henderson)  2:36
4 Circus (Alter, Russell)  3:20
5 Wayfaring Stranger (trad.)  2:30
6 Time after Time (Styne, Cahn)  3:51
7 The Vidiot (Katz)  2:05
8 Lament of the Oracles (Katz)  3:49
9 I’m Glad There is You (Dorsey, Madeira)  3:09
10 The Toy That Never Was (Katz)  3:33
11 Intermezzo (Prevost)  2:52
12 Come with Me (Marx)  2:50
13 Symphony [bonus tracks] (Lawrence, Alstone)  2:54
14 While the Music Plays On [bonus tracks] (Fien, Mills, Heim)  4:22
15 Four, Five, Six (Pisano)  3:46
16 Sophisticated Lady (Ellington, Parish, Mills)  4:15

*

 

Cd. 2

1 Isn’t It Romantic (Rodgers, Hart)  2:40
2 Delia (Gaylor)  4:41
3 Like Someone in Love (Burke, VanHeusen)  2:48
4 Krelch (Gaylor)  3:25
5 Mountain Air (Katz)  3:22
6 Perdido (Tizol)  4:47
7 I’m Gettin’ Sentimental Over You (Washington, Bassman)  5:31
8 Feeling the Blues (Vinnegar)  6:41
9 Elegy (Katz)  2:32
10 Imagination (Burke, VanHeusen)  3:24
11 Vintage 57 (Vinnegar, Norris)  4:25
12 Old Folks (Robinson, Hills)  4:53
13 The Blow Is to Know (Katz)  4:33
14 Sometimes I’m Happy (Youmans, Caesar)  4:39
15 Ruby My Dear (Monk)  3:58
16 Dixie, Why Not ? (Katz)  4:09
17 Dexterity (Parker)  3:30

All tracks arranged & conducted by Fred Katz

 

Personnel
[Cd. 1, # 1-12] Fred Katz & His Music - Soul° Cello (Decca DL 9202)
Fred Katz - cel
Paul Horn - fl, cl & as [# 1, 4-7 & 11]
Buddy Collette - as  [# 1, 4-7 & 11]
Harry Klee - fl  [# 1, 4-7 & 11]
Bill Green - fl  [# 1, 4-7 & 11]
Calvin Jackson - p
Ann Stockton - hrp
John Pisano - g
Hal Gaylor - b
Chico Hamilton - dr
Recorded at the Decca Studios, Hollywood, California ; January 15 & 22 [# 1, 4-7 & 11], 1958
[Cd. 1, # 13 & 14] John Pisano & Billy Bean - Makin' It (Decca DL 9206), here
Fred Katz - p [# 13] & cel [# 14]
Calvin Jackson - p [# 14]
John Pisano - g
Billy Bean - g
Gene Estes - vb
Hal Gaylor - b
Larry Bunker [# 13] & Chico Hamilton - dr [# 14]
Alexander Neiman, Irving Manning - vl [# 14]
Raphael Kramer - cel
Edgar Lustgarten - cel [# 14]
Recorded same place as above ; January 24 [# 13] & 30, 1958
[Cd. 1, # 15-16 & Cd. 2, # 1-7] Fred Katz - "4-5-6 TRIO" (Decca DL 9213)
Fred Katz - cel
John Pisano - g
Hal Gaylor - b
Recorded Same place as above ; May 26, 1958
[Cd. 2, # 8-17] Fred Katz & His Jammers (Decca DL 9217)
Fred Katz - cel
Don Fagerquist - tp
Pete Candoli - tp [# 9, 14, 16 & 17]
Gene Estes - vb
Leroy Vinnegar - b
Frank Butler - dr [# 9, 14, 16 & 17]
Billy Higgins - dr [# 11, 12 & 15]
Lenny McBrowne - dr [# 8, 10 & 13]
Recorded same place as above ; March 12, 1959 [# 8, 10 & 13] ; May 26, 1959 [# 11, 12 & 15] ; & August 28, 1959 [# 9, 14, 16 & 17]

45 comments:

lucky5 said...

Thanks for this excellent music, Mel!

deGallo said...

Great. Very appreciated. Thank you.

k8track said...

I am ecstatically overjoyed to see you back, Mel. I've always appreciated your wonderful blog. Thanks for everything.

neil said...

Welcome back, Mel...

Anonymous said...

So good to have you back, my friend, btw can you do something about the links.

izzy

Zape said...

Hi,

Glad to see you are back.
And thanks this great & uplifting music.

Péter Makai said...

I'm very glad to see you again, Mel!

Anonymous said...

Melancthon: Happy I can thank you for sharing one of the great collections on the planet. This is the essence of a jazz classic sound both rare and universal. You have cool ears and the gratitude of many. Keep swingin'

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Glad to see you back. I surely miss something somewhere : what about the pw ?

Thanks for your help and all the fabulous music !

DEEP said...

Melvin,
You've been missed.
Can you do something about the Fred Katz material. Can't get it at rapidshare.

dS said...

glad you're back Mel! I was sad to see you go. Thanks for all of the great music!!!

Kneigh said...

So very glad to see you back, Melanchthon!! I've been checking in every so often, as I and many others really enjoy and have missed this blog. I know that things haven't been easy with the bloggers being hassled and all, but I'm very glad to see you return!! Happy New Year to you, sir, and the best of luck with your blogging!! Thank you very much for this Katz comp as well!!

FrankDell said...

Mucho merci, Mel. Glad Sic Vos Non Vobis has returned.

neil said...

Looks like you're having trouble with Rapidshare, the same as many others:
The Public Traffic of the file's owner is exhausted.
How long do they think posters will stay with them?

Otis Foster said...

Mel, good to see you back.Nice New Year's gift.

Otis

Anonymous said...

melanchthon , just have to let you know how grateful i am for one of the most welcomed returns in blogland !
thanks for your efforts in bringing this beautiful music to us !
most appreciated , glad to see you back !!!

vitus

es125 said...

happy new year Mel. Thx.

Bhowani said...

Pas de précipitation, évitons les fausses joies, ne dit-on pas : tout vient à point à qui sait attendre......?

Bonne Année, Melvinanchthon

Orbyt said...

I can't overstate how happy I am to see your return!!

Great post as always. Mille mercis, Melancthon.

El Puerco Rojo said...

Beautiful! Many thanks!

Anonymous said...

great blog! but RS sucks...

CrunchyFrog said...

wow, I am so glad to see you've returned!!! Welcome back and thanks so much for all the great sharing.

CrunchyFrog said...

I want to say Rapidshare is great! subscriptions are very reasonable...I highly recommend it.

Anonymous said...

7-zip: files are corrupt!

Anonymous said...

I am new to your wonderful blog! I love Fred Katz. Can you reveal the password? Thank you so much!

moxnix said...

Thank you for Fred Katz, have been enjoying it for a couple days now!

Anonymous said...

Why the PW mystery?
Great blog !
please post PW :-)
Many thanks

rberven said...

Glad you are back!
Please can you tell me the password for the fred katz?- rs says
traffic is exhausted...

many thanks,
ladypodtron

rberven said...

sadness..
looks like the file is no more.
maybe a re-up in future?
I am a big Katz fan and these records are sadly very rare. I became aware of him after hearing his work with the word/song stylist Ken Nordine.
I love your blog very much!

best best best!
lady podtron

El Tortuga said...

It finaly did! Thank you so much for this and the Pisano-Bean post. And for such a great site at all, thanks a lot.

Jan said...

Anybody, please, help! I need good password, because 'melanchthon' or 'Melanchthon' not working for me. Thanks for all!

Xapy Nono said...

So glad to see you're back, Mel!

Many, many thanks and keep up the great work!

Prof. Yaffle said...

Thank you

Baron said...

Thank you Mel

Isaias Caetano da Silva said...

I can not open your files.
What should I do to have revealed the password?
I sign up as a follower of the blog?
Please.
Sincerely,
Isaias, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Diego BP said...

Hi! I just found your beautiful blog and I have only one problem with its greatness, can't find the password, could you please publish it or give it to me please.
Thanks!!

Doug S. said...

R.I.P., Fred. Thanks for the lovely sounds.

Kratzersprung said...

down

Melanchthon said...

artwork
http://www55.zippyshare.com/v/VXR67C7e/file.html

Cd. 1
http://www55.zippyshare.com/v/2gHRtFU8/file.html
http://www55.zippyshare.com/v/mLVExbY4/file.html

Cd. 2
http://www55.zippyshare.com/v/C63NsF9i/file.html
http://www55.zippyshare.com/v/4l5baHKT/file.html
http://www55.zippyshare.com/v/jNzgJU7r/file.html

AmyBRAINS said...

Wonderful post!!
Many, many thanks, Melanchthon.

glinka21 said...

Great music. One of the strangest jazz covers I've ever seen, and that's saying something.

glinka21 said...

Great music. One of the strangest jazz covers I've ever seen, and that's saying something.

Jazzsoulman said...

Thank You

José Ascensión said...

Gracias y grandes saludos.

Henrique Gorgone said...

Password...?