Sunday, April 3, 2011

Oliver Nelson & Joe Newman

Unlike most of Oliver Nelson's recordings, this one has the feel of a jam session. A CD reissue of a Prestige set, Nelson (on tenor and alto) teams up with trumpeter Joe Newman (in exciting form), pianist Hank Jones, bassist George Duvivier, drummer Charlie Persip and Ray Barretto on congas for two superior standards ("Mainstem" and "Tangerine") and four of Nelson's more basic originals. The spirited solos of Nelson and Newman are strong reasons to get this colorful session.
Scott Yanow
Source : http://www.allmusic.com/album/main-stem-r144592

Oliver Nelson
Main Stem

Tracks

1 Main Stem (Ellington) 6:48
2 J & B (Nelson) 5:45
3 Ho ! (Nelson) 4:30
4 Latino (Nelson) 6:06
5 Tipsy (Nelson) 5:15
6 Tangerine (Mercer, Schertzinger) 7:00

Personnel
Oliver Nelson - ts & as
Joe Newman - tp
Hank Jones - p
George Duvivier - b
Charlie Persip - dr
Ray Barretto - cg

Recorded in Englewood Cliifs, New Jersey ; August 25, 1961

17 comments:

Melanchthon said...

http://lix.in/-9fc8a3

Anonymous said...

Thanks again for this one.
Christophe

Otis Foster said...

Thanks for this - I like Newman's work, esp. his sessions with Cohn, look forward to hearing this.

Otis

velobrewer said...

Not familiar with this one, but the line-up looks great. I've always enjoyed Persip and especially Duvivier. Thanks.

Orbyt said...

New one for me too. Many thanks Mel.

theblueamos said...

As allways thanks from jerusalem

Anjav said...

Hi,I have
just found your blog,fantastic. Very rare music you share here.I am very interested in claasical music (Russian) , so could you please reupload Rudolph Kerer & Yakov Zak Play Prokofiev if you have time . Thank you ,thank you for everything . I am very happy for V.Sofronitsky Arlechino recordings . Thank you !!!

reindeer man said...

Thanks for this; it's new to me as well. Great line-up! Joe Newman is always a treat.

Baron said...

Thanks Mel ... Man New Newman! ... Baron

johnp said...

Thanks for this one!

Cicciosky said...

Hello Mel, great site, with very good stuff but I tried to unzip the files and the PW seems not to work for me. Can you help?
Thx

Granny Hines said...

Melancthon,

I have asked you a dozen times to contact me about that Brownie set "you" uploaded here.

Please e-mail me

Anonymous said...

Hey Granny! Now who is the troll?

hcb said...

A Nelson that's new to me. Thanks

moha said...

I've only heard about it, but never heard before, thanks Mel

moha said...

great music! But I cannot see why to remaster a Van Gelder recording to a wide stereo monster.

jazzlover said...

Great,tank you.