Saturday, November 6, 2010

Randy Weston

This CD reissues one of pianist Randy Weston's lesser-known sets. Weston, who already had a fairly distinctive style, mostly sticks to standards (which is quite unusual for him), including "The Man I Love," "This Can't Be Love," and "Do Nothing Till You Hear from Me." A quartet is featured that also includes baritonist Cecil Payne (who would be a longtime associate), bassist Ahmed Abdul-Malik, and drummer Wilbert Hogan. However, the date does include two of Weston's originals and is actually highlighted by the debut of his famous "Little Niles."
Scott Yanow
Source : http://www.allmusic.com/album/with-these-hands-r152778

Randy Weston
With These Hands

Tracks

1 I Can't Get Started (Duke, Gershwin) 4:05
2 Do Nothin' Till You Hear from Me (Ellington, Russell) 2:55
3 Lifetime (Weston, Payne) 8:47
4 Little Niles (Hendricks, Weston) 3:02
5 The Man I Love (Gershwin, Gershwin) 4:38
6 These Foolish Things (Link, Marvell, Strachey) 4:17
7 This Can't Be Love (Hart, Rodgers) 5:15
8 Serenade in Blue (Gordon, Warren) 4:53

Personnel
Randy Weston - p
Cecil Payne - bs [except # 2 & 4]
Ahmed Abdul-Malik - b
Wilbert Hogan - dr

Recorded in Hackensack, New Jersey ; March 14 & 21, 1956

8 comments:

Melanchthon said...

http://lix.in/-9111fc

wouter said...

merci beaucoup, mel, this looks like a good one!

Pippo said...

My very first impression listening to this (I'm not familiar at all with Weston) is a natural familiarity with T. Monk without sounding like Monk. I don't know if I made my point clear but I love it. Thank you Mel.

jazzjose said...

Gracias por hacer de nuevo públco tu blog
saludos

Kovina Kris said...

I'm not familiar with Mr. Weston either so I really appreciate the introduction Mel. Thanks!

Orbyt said...

Same boat as Kris, I haven't heard him as a leader. Many thanks Melanchthon.

duck said...

Well Mel, Here we are again, and not a moment too soon, you keep adding such great albums. Thanks again.

BlueNote97 said...

Una grand merci!!!